Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Strange MACOSX behavior ? Really not so !

I was working on unix shell  script for finding and parsing files using the "unix find" and ran across something on my  MACOSX host that I wanted to share & remind you of.

Check this out , 1st up a typical  LINUX DEBIAN HOST


Okay that's simple; "  we touch  5 files name jim with different  character case." 

Using  the unix  find and  "-iname" ( ignore case name  ) and we found the 5 files. Okay this is good and correct behavior what I was expecting to find ( once again excuse the pun )

Okay next up , a  MACOSX 10.10.1 aka Yosemite b14B25



So I'm like scratching my head as to why I can't touch 5 files name Jim & with various character letter case.  Okay maybe this is a BSD thing since MACOSX is grown from the BSD family.

So let's see if a OpenBSD hosts has the same issue ( btw OpenBSD is my favorite OS just to let you know )

( openbsd )



(freebsd)




So what I learned today; " is macosx is really screwed up and when testing scripts,  it best to test them on  the actual host you planning to run these on ". I  collaborate with some other mac users to see if  they can shed some light on this and why and we came up with this.

http://apple.stackexchange.com/questions/8016/hfs-case-sensitive-or-case-insensitive-which-type-to-use-for-the-primary-dri

It pertains to the filesystem type of "HFS" and the limitations within the filesystem type, naming construction, etc..... So even a restrictive filesystem like MSdosFAT would not allow you to do  the same.

So after 20+ years using various OSes you still will find your self learning new things or refreshing things you should already have known. Maybe I should buy one of these  books

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/computers-software/macs-os-x.html


Ken Felix
NSE ( Network Security Expert) and Route/Switching Engineer.
kfelix  -----a----t---- socpuppets ---dot---com

    ^     ^
=(  *  * )=
        o 
       /  \


2 comments:

  1. As far as I know HFS support case sensitive, in OSX case you need to reformat the disk to support that. In Disk Utility, Partition tab, choose MacOS Extended (case-sensitive,journaled). Or you can use 3rd party app.
    I hope this help

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks yes we figure it out after looking at the diskutility. I never knew this was the default case with MACOSX.

    ReplyDelete