SMTPs, mean Simple Mail Transport Protocol ( Secured ) & it's secured via SSL/TLS and similar to how HTTPs works.
Will I giving you some pros on why PGP encryption of your mail & by the sender/recipient is way better. But let's look at this digrams and it should be clear.
Okay as you can clearly see, with PGP and encryption of the mail body ( content ) we can ensure security from end-2-end from the 2 graphical images.
- no dependencies on Mail Gateways or any mail-hops that might not use security
- you control the level of encryption
- Established level of security for each message between sender +recipient
- data is secured while in transient or even at rest
- mail-storage or archival and mail is still fully secured
- easy to apply digital signature to ensure data integrity and no tampering
This message is endorse my Ken Felix
Freelance Network/Security Engineer
kfelix ----at---- hyperfeed ---dot----com